Saturday, April 27, 2013

Inner Voice

I was twenty three years old when my Cousin, five years younger, born on my birthday, a blue eyed blonde beauty; a colorful bouquet of mountain wildflowers, I thought, as she walked towards me. Her ankle length skirt flowed lazily, effortlessly, from side to side.  “I recently learned to meditate and I would like for you to learn too. It’s relaxing and healing.” The bright eyed eighteen-year old was eager to share her experience with me.  An introductory meditation class would be held on Thursday. “Bring flowers and fruit to the session and make an appointment with one of the meditation teachers on the college campus,” she said.

I, in my white tennis shorts, shirt, and sneakers, was getting ready to pound the ball across the tennis court. The thought of meditation was unappealing; I identified elsewhere. Anticipating that meditation would somehow change me in ways I would not like, the idea of going to a class was unappealing. However, I could not ignore the inner voice that told me to check it out-to go.

Thank-you Cousin. Since that time, decades ago, I have healed body, mind, and spirit, psychologically and spiritually, and taught meditation to others in hundreds of seminars and workshops. In the process, I demystified the general thinking that in order to meditate correctly one must clear the mind and get rid of all thoughts. In fact when we meditate, we need to follow the path of least resistance and “go with the flow;” passively observing the babbling brook of the mind, the continuous flow of thoughts, gently introducing a word like Relax into the meditation to transcend to quieter more peaceful places, effortlessly, easily.  

Remember when you meditate:

1-You will always have thoughts

2-Gently and silently say the word Relax


3-Allow the word Relax to drift in and out of your mind. Thoughts will drift in and out too.

4-Passively observe them-let them come and go.

5-If it helps listen to soft soothing music.

6-Meditate for fifteen to twenty minutes a day.

-The benefits are enormous. I will talk about them in the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment