Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Radical Acceptance of Ourselves

The inner child, the emotional part of ourselves shows itself dreams; it also makes its presence known when we feel demanding, out of balance, angry, resentful, hateful and revengeful-all of the emotions that threaten to overwhelm us in life. So how do we reconcile the  “heavy emotions” with the desire to be positive, share uplifting thoughts and sentiments? The answer lies in accepting ourselves which is not easy to do; nor should a quick acceptance become the way we psychologically operate because we think we should. Doing so can increase anxiety and fear. It is best to get to know our feelings and acknowledge what we are going through; feel the feelings, however rough the roller coaster ride may be, and then move towards a radical acceptance of ourselves-a human being with faults, challenging emotions and struggles with difficult people in our lives. In all of these scenarios, the idea of acceptance is something to aim for, and it is always best not to minimize or suppress feelings but embrace our shortcomings. Get to know ourselves. One of the best ways to get to know the psychological part of ourselves is through analyzing dreams.

Here’s a dream I had a few nights ago.

After sitting in the sun all day giving hand/ arm massages to fifteen people I was exhausted. I did not even know how tired I was or how much stress I had accumulated from massaging so many people over a three hour period of time. I went to bed feeling more stressed than I realized. Towards morning I had this dream.

A very rapid flood of water gushed up the hill behind my house and raced towards the back glass sliding doors of the home. The rapidly rising water (emotions) threatened to flood the entire house and wash it away. To underscore how emotional and tired I felt, a trash can was on fire. Life was out of control.

The value of analyzing the dream is this: Now I deeply understood how tired, stressed, and emotional I felt. Massaging fifteen people for three hours while sitting in the sun was an emotional overload. In the future, in order to protect myself, I would have to set boundaries and limit the amount of time I would administer these labor intensive services.

It took several days to get back in balance, but after a few nights of sound sleep and daily meditations where I received extra rest. Plus walks in the park and an excellent swim at the pool, I was back to normal. I learned a lot of lessons from this experience.

1-Setting boundaries is important even in the work environment where it is harder to say no.

 2-When tired and out of balance, stress increases and perception is distorted.

 3-Deep rest is one of the most important gifts we can give ourselves.

When we are rested and back in balance, it is easier to accept ourselves and authentically affirm our good qualities.

Love, Light, Healing and Many Blessings,

Ruth Starseed
http://www.RelaxationInternational.com
"Like" on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/RuthStarseed

 

No comments:

Post a Comment