Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Surrendering: Delving Deeper into Spirituality


Thirteen years old and ready for bat mitzvah, I asked the rabbi, “Can we learn about Jesus?" Part rebellion, but mostly curious and sincere, I did not know then, what I know now- in previous lifetimes I lived as a cloistered nun loving the Great Master Teacher known to Christians around the world as the Son of God, known to me in this lifetime as someone to love and to emulate. Although I was not raised Christian, nor was Jesus talked about in our home, I think about Jesus often. In fact, I think about Jesus every day. When I reflect on the meaning of surrendering to Higher Power, I  think about the wise and different things Jesus said: On surrendering he said, “I can of my own self do nothing, for I seek not my own will but the Will of the Father.”

Powerful words that will always be true. The words of the Great Master Teacher Jesus Christ hold true no matter what century we live in, or religion or belief we hold; the bottom line is that we will not move forward in life in a loving and positive way without the will and intention of a Higher Power-the Will of the Father as Jesus said. We all need something to lean on. Surrendering to Higher Power is the best way no matter how you conceptualize your Higher Power. Personally, and after much searching, I am drawn to the New Age idea of Christ as a Divine loving and forgiving Consciousness. A way of living life that is available for us all to aspire to; we are all son's and daughter's of God. Developing a loving and forgiving consciousness is a direct route to making conscious contact with one's Higher Power.

I like to study dreams. They take me deeper into my spirituality. To make a strong point, a recent dream brought this information. In the dream I was on an operating table at a local hospital, Roxborough Hospital. The operation was going to be performed in the basement. I was in a poorer section of the city where they did surgery in the basement. I was about to be anesthetized. I noticed that the walls of the operating room were brownish. The tiles were smooth and grimy looking like you might see in a bathroom in a subway. Still, I had to trust that the surgeons knew what they were doing and that I was in good hands. On the operating table I felt helpless; I had to surrender. The doctor was unfamiliar; I did not totally trust his skill. Still, I was on his operating table. I had to let go and not resist the operation. The operation was going to take place no matter what I did. Surrender was the key to success and at that  point there was no choice. The doctor gave me anesthesia and in the dream. I prayed to Babaji an Eastern Guru I studied about in the past.

In the dream I surrendered to the operation. In waking reality, when I surrender to Higher Power, I imagine myself waving a white flag signaling my need for help-someone, or something, to lean on. At those tired times, in those tired moments, I know I cannot do anything without the strength and direction of my Higher Power. This was the case in the dream.

After the operation, I got up and walked around the basement of the hospital. There were many people in the basement including interns learning new skills. I looked out the window onto a small yard. I was glad there was a window to enjoy the scenery. The yard was filled with green trees, a small lawn and shrubs. The message in the dream was that there was hope for the future. In the dream, I was the patient and had to completely (no half-way measures) wave the white flag and surrender to experience a deeper spirituality and connection to my Higher Power.

“Why art thou troubled because things do not succeed with thee according to thy desire? Who is there who hath all things according to his will? Neither I, nor thou, nor any man upon earth.”

Thomas A’Kempis.

Love, Light, Healing and Many Blessings,

Ruth Starseed
"Like" on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/RuthStarseed
http://www.RelaxationInternational.com


 

No comments:

Post a Comment